ORCHIDS BY HAUSERMANN, VILLA PARK IL, FOUNDED IN 1920
* In 1912, Mr. & Mrs. Carl D. Hausermann had a very small home built outside the village limits of Melrose Park, Illinois. During the construction of the home, they personally built a total of four small greenhouses. A variety of flowering crops were grown here until 1919 when the place was sold.
* In 1920, a new greenhouse was built at another site near Melrose Park, Illinois, forming a corporation known as the C. Hausermann Co. (at North Ave Route 64 & 25th Street)
* By 1925, a total of 50,000 sq ft. was constructed for the growing of sweet peas.
* From 1925 to 1930, another 50,000 sq. ft. was added and the entire place was converted to the growing of roses.
* In 1929, twenty acres of farm land was purchased (from the Fiene Family) near the town of Elmhurst. This is still our current location.
* During the period of 1930 and 1931, two greenhouses (the small house which was bought used) were built producing sweet peas. Immediately after the Depression, two more houses were built which were planted in gardenia plants.
* In 1939, two more houses were built and the entire greenhouses were planted with gardenia plants. During this building, Edwin Hausermann, son of Carl, devoted a small area to orchid plants and seedlings purchased from a world renowned orchid grower.
* In 1940, just prior to the war, 25,000 specie orchid plants were purchased from South America for the cut flower trade, replacing some gardenia plants.
* In 1953, the entire greenhouse was being replaced with hybrid and specie orchid plants for the cut flower trade plus the full scale hybridization of orchid plants was started.
* In 1958, the Corporation started purchasing specie orchid plants from around the world to sell to the local hobbyist.
* In 1960, the 3rd generation of the Hausermann family begins working at the greenhouse.
* In 1962, in conjunction with the Illinois Orchid Society, Hausermann's had it's 1st Annual Open House Orchid Show & Sale
* In 1963, section 9 was built.
* In 1965, the 100,000 sq. ft. rose range in Melrose Park, Illinois was sold and razed.
* From 1965 to 1974 the name of C. Hausermann Co. was dissolved bringing out the new name of Hausermann Orchids, Inc. Also during this period, a 22,000 sq. ft. greenhouse was added and a new Corporation, Orchids by Hausermann Inc., was formed which deals solely with the purchasing and selling of orchid plants throughout the world.
* In April 1969, section 10 was built.
* In 1970, the former "plant department" was was founded as Orchids by Hausermann, Inc.
* In 1979, added another 16,000 square feet in greenhouses. (Section 11 & 12)
* In 1981, the main aisle in the greenhouse was widened.
* In 1985, added another 16,000 square feet in greenhouses. (Section 13 & 14)
* In 1986, the 4th generation of the Hausermann family begins working at the greenhouse
* In 1989, built a connecting house between Section 10 & 14.
* In June 2000, started the Orchids by Hausermann website
* In Sept. 11, 2001, printed our last catalog. Gene Hausermann was at the printer when 911 happened. We called it the 2002/2003 catalog.
* In Oct 2008, started the wholesale Phalaenopsis business
* On July 27, 2009, The Orchids by Hausermann billboard sign up front was redone.
* In 2010, celebrated 90 years in business.
* In 2011, the 5th generation of the Hausermann family began working at the greenhouse.
* In 2020, celebrated 100 years in business.